Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Storytelling

Listening to examples of the power of telling a story well. So impressed by Kym Lardner's storytelling that I'm listening to on a CD while I type... and only just managing to type between laughing so hard!

At the moment a fantastic woman who is part of the current storytelling block course being run here is staying with me. She's letting me listen to her CD of stories. Her resources for the course are really cool.

The point of the storytelling course is to help people going to far off lands use storytelling as a way to tell those they meet about Jesus. After all there are very few people who don't like a good story. The Bible itself is full of them. Some of the best stories are in the Bible. I'm pretty jealous I can't sit in on the classes.

But I wonder how much we are trapped in our mentality that stories are only for kids... frankly I've always enjoyed kid's stories hugely. I love cartoons, picture books, fairy tales. The world of imagination is just so exciting. That's why I've always loved the Bible as well. As a kid it seemed like the ultimate treasury of stories. And there was always another one to find, one that was only half remembered, or a favourite to re-read.

Hence my excitement (and jealousy!) at people learning how to tell stories really well. Jesus is exciting, so let's share Him in an exciting way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment